Author Interview: Gale Sears

|
Gale Sears

Website www.galesears.com

Blog www.galesears.blogspot.com

Gale, who are you as a person versus an author?

Like everyone else I’m a lot of different things, but I think foremost I’m a spiritual person. Growing up in a Christian home, I remember feeling comfortable with intangible realities, and feeling drawn to the spiritual story. I’m also deeply touched by nature: mountains, trees, flowers, oceans, sky, sunsets, sunrises, animals.

I love to travel. I love to experience new places, and meet people from varied backgrounds.

I love to cook, but I’m not very creative or brave. Untried recipes scare me.

I’m very fond of my family. I love them in any and every condition.

I love my friends.

I love to laugh.

I love the concept of giving up old ways of thinking if they don’t work and moving on.

I love that learning continues to the grave and then on into the eternities. Perhaps I’ll learn how to love math in the hereafter.


What genre(s) do you write in?

I write historical fiction, slice of life novels, and children’s books.


Do you seek to educate or entertain?

Both! I’ve spent years as a teacher, years as an actress, years as a stage director, and years as a playwright. I’ve also spent my life in crazy antics that make people laugh. (Well…my sister thinks I’m hilarious)

I craft my books to be good stories, but I also want them to evoke deeper thought and feeling.

Where do you write your best stuff, and when?

I have to have quiet when I write. Mornings are my most creative times, but if I have good dark chocolate on hand, I can write well into the night.

I try and discipline myself to write every day, at least an hour or two. If I’m in the middle of a book I’m normally in the chair five to six hours a day.


Why do you write?

I like to tell stories. I grew up in the enchantment of Lake Tahoe, and I think the surroundings just flowed into my little heart and made me acutely aware of sights, sounds, smells, and magic. I loved writing stories at a young age. At eight I remember making nests for myself which I’d stock with a supply of pencils, crayons, and paper. I’d spend hours drawing and writing. It soon became evident that I was not a Monet, but more a Mark Twain.

I also write because I believe there are words and stories that can inform and inspire. I love the English language; the power of the written word. I scored high on my SAT’s in English, but low in…can you guess? Yep. Math.


What do you love to read?

Historical fiction, biographies, autobiographies, LDS fiction, a Sue Grafton mystery now and then, Scriptures, Ellis Peters, the classics, CS Lewis, a fantasy now and then, slice of life novels, children’s books, poetry, plays, joke books…


Vanilla or chocolate?

As mentioned above…chocolate. I love dark chocolate. Have you ever had Belgian chocolate? The first time I had Belgian chocolate I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. There will be chocolate in heaven, I’m sure of it. Let’s see, how many more times can I write chocolate? Chocolate…chocolate…chocolate.

What is your preferred manner of writing?

I write pencil on paper and then transfer the work to my PC. I do my editing on the computer, but the original flow of the story comes out through the lead of the pencil.


What is your current book?

My latest book on the shelves is entitled, The Route. It is a novel based on my experiences delivering meals-on-wheels to a cast of zany, inspiring, and delightful older folks. It lets us take a sneak peak at the wonders to be cherished, and the lessons to be learned along life’s highway.


Will people’s lives be changed or enriched by reading it?

My life was changed by the amazing people on my route, and I believe much of that magic jumped into the pages of the book.

One piece of advice/wisdom for the world?

Embrace change. Realize there is a God and you’re not it. One day at a time.

Dogs or cats?

Sorry cat lovers, but my answer is dogs. I have a cherished photo of me at age three with my arm around the shoulder of our black cocker spaniel dog, Eightball. I was obviously destined to love dogs.


What do you want to be remembered for, or as?

I want to be remembered as a good friend.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...