Author Interview: Haley Hatch Freeman

|
Haley Hatch Freeman
She blogs here

Haley, who are you as a person, versus an author?

An absolute passion of mine is sign language and the Deaf culture. I can interpret for the deaf and one of my dearest friends for life is hearing impaired. Before I was married and had kids I interpreted at the MTC for the deaf missionaries and worked for the School for the Deaf and Blind.

The next thing I would consider a passion is teaching and caring for my two children and adoring my husband. I get more satisfaction from seeing my kids not only learn and love to learn than anything. My husband really is my best friend and my world so any chance I get I spend it with him.

I'm a scrapbook consultant so I host parties every month and create projects for them to assemble. I also play the piano and can’t remember when one of my callings in church hasn’t revolved around it. If it’s not the organist in sacrament then it is being the choir pianist, and don’t forget the Relief Society. I use to teach piano until my life become too full and something had to give. And I enjoy camping, playing tennis, watching my Jazz and BYU football teams, and yes I have to admit some reality TV shows.

What genre(s) do you write in?

My book, A Future for Tomorrow, is a work from my heart as it is a non-fiction account of an extraordinary part of my teenage life. However, now I am playing with a fiction series for pre-teens to young adult.

Do you seek to educate or entertain?

Both. My first book was written for the purpose of bringing awareness to the seriousness of anorexia. It aids in the prevention of this illness as well as give parents a tool in helping their loved one as they one endure and overcome this disease. I hope that while I teach, it also entertains my readers, not with laughs, but with the intensity and drama of the situation.
Currently, I am writing purely for entertainment purposes. Mostly because I don’t have another traumatic experience to share, thank heavens. I fell in love with the entire writing and publishing process and don’t want to let it go.

Where do you write your best stuff, and when?

I only write at home in my comfy sweats. There is usually something else going on around me whether it is my husband’s sports game, or my children laughing. I have no problem multi- tasking, usually I enjoy sitting by my husband, not so much breaking up a fight with the kids, and taking a peak at the score, all while creating another twist for my characters to overcome.

Why do you write?

There was a powerful moment in which I knew I was not only suppose to, but personally commanded to write my book. It is depicted in A Future for Tomorrow. You’ll have to read it to fully understand the magnitude of that experience. I now write because I’m hooked.

Vanilla or chocolate?

Chocolate, unless I’m pregnant I can’t stand chocolate during those 9 months—with both children this happened!

What is your preferred manner of writing?

My friend and fellow writer introduced me to a cleaver little gadget called the Neo. It has changed the way I write forever. I can now actually do so without being removed from my kids. The Neo is a little typing system that is only a word processor. It’s easy to take with me so I just bus it along wherever the little ones need me to be.

What is your current book?
A Future for Tomorrow is an extraordinary non-fiction account of the author’s actual battle against anorexia nervosa as well as a spiritual triumph against evil. You will be brought into the anorexic mind, shown the fierce war against depression and self-depreciating thoughts and actions; and witness the gravity of the destruction this disease can do. A deeply edifying experience will occur as you journey with the author to the eternal world. There, angels confirm to her gospel truths such as the intensity of Christ’s love, and the sacred and holy nature of our Father’s plan for his children here on Earth.

Besides giving a voice to those of us who have experienced this illness, and giving hope to them and their loved ones, I hope my book also helps the reader realize their divine worth and feel edified as they experience this journey along side me.

One piece of advice/wisdom for the world?

Seek to find out your divine worth and live in a manner that reflects that knowledge.

Dogs or cats?

I love all animals. I was sad to find out last year that my son is allergic to cats so there goes that idea. But we love the dog we have!

What do you want to be remembered for, or as?


Someone who makes others feel good about themselves, a survivor, a loyal daughter of God, a great mother and wife.


4 comments:

To the House and Back blog said...

GREAT interview, Lori! What a worthy and important topic. Best wishes to the author!

Haley Hatch Freeman said...

Lori- Thank you for posting this interview. You did a great job, I love it!
Thank you for helping share my story, you have blown me away by your kind words and support.

I just read the post you did a while ago about my blog give away of Karen's book and about my story. It made me cry. With all my heart thank you!

Thank you also to C.S. Bezas for the comment.

Rachelle Christensen said...

Great interview and I'd love to win!I wanted to tell you that I’m hosting an incredible giveaway for a $195 EZ View Desktop on my blog. Come on over and enter!

Cat said...

I LOVED this book! Couldn't put it down! Haley is such a wonderful, sweet person, whose experience will touch many lives.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...